How Soon Should You Contact a Crowley Attorney After a Car Wreck?
It’s understandable to be overwhelmed and confused after suffering a car crash. However, if you or a loved one were recently involved in a wreck in Crowley, Louisiana, you should seek an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Getting legal help can make all the difference when dealing with insurance companies and understanding your rights. Turning to a knowledgeable lawyer can also give you support with handling insurance claims and reaching a fair settlement.
An attorney from Domengeaux Wright Roy & Edwards LLC understands personal injury law in Louisiana. Read on to learn when to contact a Crowley attorney and what actions to take immediately following your wreck.
Know Your Legal Time Limits
In Louisiana, the statute of limitations allows victims up to one year to file a legal claim after a crash. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if the car crash resulted in a wrongful death, the statute of limitations is one year from the date of death rather than the date of the wreck. Additionally, if the person injured was a minor at the time, the statute of limitations may be extended.
While you have one year to file your legal claim, you should take action immediately. First, speak with an experienced Crowley attorney to understand your legal options and protect your rights.
Follow These Steps Immediately After Your Crash
You may be confused about what to do right after a car collision. The most important thing after a car wreck is to stay calm and ensure your safety and the safety of others involved. Then, take these steps:
- Call the police. Report the collision, especially if there are injuries or significant property damage. The police can create a report that can be used for insurance claims or legal action.
- Exchange information. Get the contact information of the other driver or drivers involved in the crash. Be sure to get their names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance company information.
- Document the scene. Take pictures of the details of the crash. Include photos or video of vehicle damage, license plates, and injuries. These can provide helpful evidence in your car wreck claim.
- Gather witness information. If anyone else saw the crash, get their contact information as well.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, seek medical attention after a car wreck. Some injuries may not be noticeable at first. And, it is important to document your condition if you need to make an insurance claim or take legal action.
While these are steps you can take on your own following a collision, you should also contact a Crowley attorney as soon as possible. In addition, make sure you know what not to do after your wreck that could hurt your claim.
What You Shouldn’t Do
If you’ve been in a car wreck and believe you may have a potential legal claim, there are several things you should avoid doing to protect your rights:
- Do not admit fault. Do not apologize or discuss concerns that may make you seem responsible for the crash.
- Do not sign anything or speak to the other driver’s insurance company. Do not sign documents or speak with an insurance company without consulting your Crowley attorney first. This includes any paperwork from insurance companies or the others involved in the collision. Insurance companies may try to get you to write down or say things that could be used against you in court.
- Do not post on social media. Do not post anything about the crash on social media or discuss the details with anyone other than your lawyer, doctor, and personal insurance company. Ideally, avoid posting on social media altogether until your case is resolved. This can prevent you from having your words misinterpreted and potentially used against you in court.
Remember, your actions after a car wreck can significantly impact your legal claim. To protect your rights, avoid these common mistakes and speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
Reach Out to a Crowley Attorney
Dealing with the aftermath of a car crash can be incredibly stressful. Don’t wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. They can take on the burden of the legal aspects of your case, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
A personal injury lawyer should have the legal experience to deal with insurance companies, gather evidence, and help you reach a settlement. In addition, they can help make sure you are not taken advantage of by insurance companies or other parties involved. Rather than facing your claim alone, your attorney can help you file your claim within your statute of limitations.
Reach out to a Crowley attorney today to discuss the details of your crash. Call Domengeaux Wright Roy & Edwards LLC at 337-291-HURT (4878) to schedule a free consultation. You can also message us through our website. Let us know more about your collision so we can fight for the justice you deserve.