Causes of Louisiana 18-Wheeler Accidents
Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyers Discuss Common Causes of Big Rig Accidents and Getting Compensation For Our Injured Clients
Under U.S. federal law, commercial trucks that are used in interstate commerce must be constructed and operated according to detailed federal guidelines. In Louisiana, trucks that are not used in interstate commerce are governed by comparable state laws and regulations.
Understanding these rules is crucial when investigating a truck accident case. At Domengeaux Wright Roy & Edwards LLC, our attorneys are prepared to evaluate all of the possible causes of our clients’ accidents.
The following are some of the most common causes of 18-wheeler accidents:
- Overloaded trucks and debris: An 18-wheeler can handle only a limited amount of weight before it becomes unsafe. When a truck is overloaded, the driver may not be able to maneuver or slow down properly. A closely related problem is debris on the roadways.
- Truck driver fatigue: When drivers are pushed by their employers to stay behind the wheel for too many hours without getting adequate sleep and breaks from driving, their alertness and response times can suffer, increasing the risk of serious accidents.
- Truck driver negligence: Truck drivers, like other drivers, are expected to drive carefully. In their case, that means they are expected to operate heavy, complex vehicles safely. In many cases, trucking companies can be held accountable for their drivers’ negligence.
- Inadequate maintenance: Trucking companies and truck drivers are required to inspect their vehicles regularly and follow rigorous maintenance standards. Their failure to do so can lead to mechanical problems that increase the risk of catastrophic accidents.
- Manufacturing defects: 18-wheelers are intricate machines that must be capable of being driven for long hours at high speeds on all types of roads. Truck manufacturers that do not follow strict safety standards can be held accountable for the consequences.
Based in Lafayette, we represent clients throughout Louisiana. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with lawyers who are familiar with the causes of truck accidents and what it takes to obtain fair compensation, please contact us at 800-375-6186 or by email. Our main office is located in Lafayette, Louisiana.
MAKE THE WRIGHT CHOICE. LET US FIGHT FOR YOU! 337.291.HURT
Let us do a FREE Confidential Case Review. We can make the Wright difference.